Week 10-Banter and Quibble

BANTER and QUIBBLE

I love banter and quibble week!  We had fun throwing around fun insults like "Thou art a saucy fly-bitten barnacle!" 

The 1st semester is winding down.  Please turn in your Hamlet summaries.  We're just about done reading Hamlet and will be starting "Hamlet in 10 minutes".  We will be performing this for parents night in January.  Date TBA.  




Lecture:  Banter and Quibble

Banter- arguing wittily



Example:

Act I scene 2 from Hamlet

Hamlet. But what is your affair in Elsinore? ...

Horatio. My lord, I came to see your father's funeral.

Hamlet. I pray thee, do not mock me, fellow-student;

I think it was to see my mother's wedding.

Horatio. Indeed, my lord, it follow'd hard upon.

Hamlet. Thrift, thrift, Horatio! the funeral baked-meats

Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables.



Example:

From Act IV scene 3 of Hamlet

HAMLET At dinner.

CLAUDIUS At supper where?

HAMLET Not where he eats, but where he is eaten. A certain convocation

of politic worms are e'en at him. Your worm is your only emperor

for diet. We fat all creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves

for maggots. Your fat king and your lean beggar is but variable

service—two dishes, but to one table. That’s the end.



Quibble-plot device, when opponents try to squeeze as many meanings out of a word as possible



Example: William Shakespeare used a quibble in The Merchant of Venice. Portia saves Antonio in a court of law by pointing out that the agreement called for a pound of flesh, but no blood, and therefore Shylock can collect only if he sheds no blood, which is not physically possible.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9-Soliloquy, Aside, and Set Piece

Shakespeare Week 3